I frequently hear friends, colleagues, neighbors (you name it!) speak about how busy, stressed, or unhappy they are with their lives. They are caught up in the wrong job, feel trapped where they are, or are working to accomplish x,y, and z before they can be truly happy. This kind of thinking puts us in a negative cycle – one that often seems impossible to escape from. Not to worry – there is hope! Read on!
I came across this Ted Talk by Shawn Anchor a few years ago now, but it’s always a great reminder. Take a listen (and bookmark it to watch it every few weeks. It’s great, I promise!).
5 Practices to Help Bring you More LongTerm Happiness & Satisfaction
- Work to reset your formula for success vs. happiness: We’ve grown up believing that we will become happy after we achieve success in x, y, and z. But, what we’ve now found is that once you accomplish ‘z’, you will actually move the goal post for success. That’s right – you will keep reaching! This is great as you work to become more successful, but is not great news for your level of happiness. We need to reverse our thinking to be happy in the present (that’s now!) which will allow us to ultimately be more successful.
- Train your brain to be more positive with a gratitude journal: Keeping a daily gratitude journal is quick and simple. Just write 3-5 things each and every day for a month (or longer, of course!) that you are grateful for. This helps shift the lens through which you see the world to a more positive one, and will help you with number 1: resetting your formula for success vs. happiness.
- Take time for self-care: I’m a huge believer in self-care. Even taking 5 minutes a week is better than nothing. Give yourself a foot rub (or get someone to give you one!), oil your body with fresh herbal infused oils, meditate, take a great bubble herb bath, etc. etc. etc. There are so many options and they will all feel so good to your body and your mind. Don’t be afraid to schedule this into your calendar. If coffee with a friend is in your schedule, a date with yourself can be in there too!
- Get enough sleep: This one probably seems obvious, but so many people are not getting the sleep they need. Start by building a nighttime routine. Leave your cell phone away from the bed. Drink some chamomile or sleepy time tea. Relax. This is your time to rejuvenate for the day ahead!
- Work smarter: You probably hear this all the time. But it’s true – work smarter, not harder. Focus on your happiness and you will have a profound impact on your output. Create a system for breaks and prioritization in your day and you’ll be amazed how much you get done with a clear mind!
It’s actually quite magical that only 10% of what is happening to us externally impacts our longterm happiness. The rest is up to us – up to our brains. If we can impact and adjust the lens through which our brains view the world to reshape our realities, we can literally create magical lives for ourselves. It’s a game-changer. Let’s get to it!
How will you commit to adjusting your lens to the world?